Assistant Spiritual Director
(Please make sure you have read the material located on the Clergy page in the menu as well.)
The Atlanta South Walk to Emmaus/Chrysalis Team Selection Committee and the Community Spiritual Director select a team of prospective Assistant Spiritual Directors (ASD) for each Walk or Flight. Assistant Spiritual Directors assist the Weekend Head Spiritual Director in the clergy duties for that Walk or Flight.
Only persons who meet the following criteria can serve as ASDs. Those who are:
- qualified to serve as Weekend Head Spiritual Director.
- licensed for Pastoral Ministry, including Full- and Part-Time local Pastors, Student Local Pastors, Commissioned Probationary Elders and Deacons, and Associate Members, who are under appointment or subject to appointment, and who are current in their Basic Course of Study or approved ATS seminary (or the equivalent in another church/denomination).
- UMC ordained Deacons.
- Upper Room-Certified Clergy.
In addition an ASD must meet the following criteria:
- is able to maintain theological balance and be sensitive to the variety of perspectives in this ecumenical setting.
- is willing to serve on a team, working in concert and cooperation with the weekend Lay Director, and abiding by The Upper Room model for Emmaus and Chrysalis as presented in the most recent editions of the Handbooks, the Manuals, and the other official documents.
- is actively engaged in professional ministry (or retired in good standing from professional ministry).
- Note: The United Methodist Church has the category of Certified Lay Ministers. These persons are laypersons and therefore are not eligible to serve in any clergy capacity in Emmaus or Chrysalis. This same standard applies to churches and other denominations with similar categories.